Friday, August 3, 2012

Sweet and Sour Chicken

 
Here's another chicken recipe I tried, this time a Chinese dish:

 Chicken Breading:
3-5 chicken breast
salt and pepper
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup canola oil

Rinse chicken, trim off fat or extras and then cut into 1 inch cubes. season with salt and pepper. Dip chicken into cornstarch and coat all the way and then into eggs. Heat oil in large skillet. Cook chicken until browned. Place in baking dish. 3 chicken breasts can be in a 9x9 but 5 chicken breasts fits better in a 9x13.
Sauce:
3/4 cups sugar
4 Tablespoons ketchup
1/2 cup white distilled vinegar
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic salt
Whisk until smooth. Then pour evenly over chicken. Turn chicken so the sauce gets on both sides and then put in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. turn chicken and then cook for 15 more minutes.

Breaded chicken before adding sauce
Sauce - garlic salt, soy sauce, white vinegar, ketchup, & sugar
Nothing special here - I simply fried the asparagus in some oil and seasoned with salt and pepper

 This was slightly more complicated to make than I usually prefer, but it was definitely worth it!  I'm sure that if I made it again it would be a lot easier, too.  I used 4 chicken breasts to serve 5 people and we had one serving of the chicken left over.  I made white rice in our rice cooker to serve with the chicken.  I also pan-fried some fresh asparagus to go on the side.  This meal was very well-received - everyone loved it!  The chicken was moist and we all loved the flavor of the sauce.  Some of the pieces of chicken lost their breading, but that was okay because it tasted good anyways.  The general consensus was that it was even better than Hyvee Chinese food.  I'm pretty happy with this recipe. :) Without a question, I'll be making it again soon!

The Last Word:  Tangy, tasty chicken - a recipe to keep

No comments:

Post a Comment