Sunday, July 22, 2012

"Reality Check"

Warning: I LOVE cheesy romance novels (especially by LDS authors), so you'll be reading many reviews on books of this genre in the future!


I just finished reading Reality Check, by Karen Tuft last week.  I couldn't put it down - I loved it!  The book is somewhat based on the TV show, "The Bachelor."  In Reality Check, the main character, Lucy Kendrick, ends up on a reality TV dating show called "Soulmates."  It wasn't her idea to be on the show and she doesn't have expectations of making it very far.  However, things change and she finds herself developing feelings for the "Soulmate," Ethan Glass.  I can't say much more, or I'll give away the book!  The author, Karen Tuft, is LDS so some of the characters are LDS and one of the main morals of the story is standing up for what you believe in.

I really enjoyed reading Reality Check because, though it is fiction, I connected with Lucy.  She's put into situations where she's the only person with high standards, but she sticks up for herself anyway.  I look up to her because she takes risks of sharing her beliefs with others and then she benefits in the end.  The only thing I didn't like was the first chapter of the book - it isn't very well-written.  It almost seems like the author wrote the first chapter a few years ago before she polished her writing style.  But once you get past the first chapter, it's fabulous. :) I will for sure be rereading this book! (This one isn't too cheesy, by the way)

The Last Word: Perfect, clean, modern romance novel

3 comments:

  1. I agree! After this author got rolling, she showed a talent for storytelling. This was a fun, touching book with just enough twists in the plot to keep you guessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the nice review. I'm so glad you enjoyed the book! (Inside scoop: the first chapter went a few rounds early in the process, and I'm constantly working to polish my writing style. I take the comments seriously and appreciate the feedback.) Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Thanks for taking the time to read my review! "Reality Check" is my favorite book now. :) I can't wait for you to write another book!

      Delete