Monday, July 15, 2013

"Safe Haven"


"Safe Haven" is another movie that was originally a Nicholas Sparks novel.  Since the movie is somewhat of a mystery, I can't say a lot about the plot.  Basically, the movie is about a mysterious young woman, Katie, who ends up in the small beach town of Southport, North Carolina.  She's reluctant to make friends and really get to know anyone and she hides dark secrets about her past.  Katie gradually lets her guard down and becomes attached to Alex, the owner of a small local market, and his two children.  Life seems to be looking up, but eventually Katie must face the horrors of her past that brought her to Southport in the first place.
 
 
I knew that this was a Nicholas Sparks movie when we decided to watch it, so I expected it to be all romance and relationships.  Boy, was I wrong!  At least half of the movie is really suspenseful because it deals with her scary back story.  I'm not accustomed to more intense movies, so it really kept me on the edge of my seat.  Even with Clearplay on, I closed my eyes several times!  There were a couple of scenes that Clearplay didn't edit because they were important to the plot, even though they were a little gory.  But then it cut out the kissing scenes!  It was a little frustrating for someone who watched it thinking it was a romance movie.  On the plus side, I thought the acting was good - the scary character was really believable and Josh Duhamel and Julianne Hough both did well with their roles.  And it had a happy (although really bizarre and unexpected) ending. :)

The Last Word:  Suspenseful romance, much more intense than other Sparks movies

No comments:

Post a Comment