Saturday, June 21, 2014

"Unexpected"


Unexpected is a modern-day romance novel, primarily set in Salt Lake City, Utah. The story follows single mom Natalie Forrester and successful bachelor Ross McConnell, two very different people. After two failed marriages, Natalie has three children, two teenage girls and a son on a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and she barely stretches out a living by cleaning houses. In contrast, Ross couldn't be more successful as an attorney. However, he's 37 and single - a horrid crime to his family. Ross and Natalie have many unique encounters that lead to an unexpected relationship as they both search for long-desired happiness in their lives.

Since I adored Karen Tuft's first novel, Reality Check, I was eager to jump into her latest novel. It was definitely different from Reality Check, but not in a bad way. I enjoyed the change of pace - most of the romance novels I read are about young lovers without kids. I especially liked Natalie's character because she's so real. She is hilarious at times, yet she also has a vulnerable side because of all of the heartache she's been through.

I was also impressed with the writing. I was able to vividly see the emotions of the characters through the language she used. Tuft's leading man came to a neat closure that the beginning left unfinished. I don't want to give it away, but you'll know what it is once you read it. It's so cool.

The Last Word: Another great read from Karen Tuft, well done!

No comments:

Post a Comment