Saturday, August 10, 2013

"Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters"

Click to enlarge
The Percy Jackson movies are based on the book series written by Rick Riordan that tell of half-bloods, children born of a Greek god and a human.  They stay at Camp Half Blood for safety, but in this particular installment, their safety at the camp is compromised.  Percy and his friends Grover and Annabeth, as well as his newly discovered half brother, Tyson, set out on a journey to find the Golden Fleece - the only thing believed to be able to solve their problem.

I read 4 out of the 5 books in the "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" series several years ago and I must say that this movie has motivated me to finish the series.  Hollywood pretty much ruined the first book in the series, The Lightning Thief, but this one was - thankfully - way better.  There weren't nearly as many cheesy aspects like I thought there were in the first one.  They followed the book much better than they did in the first movie, too.  There were a few big things that weren't in the book, but I was able to overlook them because they kept with the spirit of the book.  The acting improved and the special effects were pretty awesome. (I bet it would've been even cooler in 3D!)  To me the characters were more likable in this movie - enough that I'm a Logan Lerman fan now. :) Overall, for those who have read the Percy Jackson books, I'd say it's worth the money to see it in theaters.  To those who haven't read the books: read them - they're really good! - and then go see "Sea of Monsters!"

The Last Word: Big improvement; worth it for Percy Jackson fans

No comments:

Post a Comment